Brandeis Alumni, Family and Friends
Last updated: 05/25/2018Your privacy and the safeguarding of your personal data (defined below) is very important to Brandeis University (referred to here as "Brandeis" or "the University") and its Institutional Advancement Division. This Privacy Statement was developed to provide you information on how we collect and process your personal data.
Why We Collect Your Personal DataThe University collects your personal data so that in the future we may pass along to you information about Brandeis and its programs, and provide you with University services—such as educational opportunities, information and news, alumni activities, events and experiences, mailings, charitable giving opportunities, social media, the B Connect alumni community and other Brandeis educational and research related goods and services—that may be of interest to you ("Brandeis Services"). In addition, as a public charity under the US Internal Revenue Code, Brandeis relies on funds raised from a variety of different sources in support of furthering its core mission of advancing the humanities and arts, as well as social, natural and physical sciences. For these fundamental reasons, your personal information is collected and stored on Brandeis servers and/or Brandeis contracted servers in the US.
What Personal Data We CollectWe may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal information about you, which we have grouped together in the following general categories:
- Basic biographical/contact information—such as your street and email addresses, and your phone numbers
- Demographic information—such as gender, birth, and death dates
- Information obtained from Brandeis student records—such as your degree, major, and Brandeis activities
- Employment data—such as job titles, industry information and company names
- Alumni information—showing your event attendance, organization affiliations, committee participation, and volunteer interests
- Family information—such as the names and birth dates of your spouse (or partner), children, or other family relationships
- Analytical data—such as information related to web visitor frequency and email marketing activity
- Donor information—such as information about your prior donation history, wealth assessment information, and any pertinent indicators of your interest in giving to Brandeis
How We Collect Your Personal DataThe personal data of Brandeis students and alumni is transferred from the University's student record system (when you enroll at Brandeis) to the Institutional Advancement's database. In addition, a significant portion of the information we collect is that which you have previously provided to us when you registered for an event, communicated with us either by updating your profile online, or made a donation. In some cases, we may also gather information from targeted internet searches or third party sources.
Retention of Your Personal Data and Brandeis' Legitimate InterestBrandeis retains your personal data in accordance with applicable international, federal, state and local laws. Toward this end, Brandeis is relying on the fact that it is in the University's legitimate interest to retain or process your personal data for the following reasons:
- It benefits you insofar as it enables Brandeis to provide you with important information about Brandeis Services and programs that may be of interest to you and, in addition, it facilitates the University's ability to raise charitable contributions which, in turn, are necessary so that Brandeis can continue to carry out its core educational and research mission in support of the public interest (together, the "University's Purpose")
- It is a reasonable way, as well as a necessary and appropriately targeted and proportionate way, to achieve the University's Purpose
- As a graduate or friend of Brandeis, you have a pre-existing relationship with the University and therefore would reasonably expect Brandeis to retain this information
- Processing your information in futherance of the University's Purpose has no, or only a minimal privacy impact on you
Because we consider our relationship with alumni, donors and other stakeholders to be lifelong, we will maintain a record for you until such time as you tell us that you no longer wish us to keep in touch. Of course, you may also make changes to communication preferences by contacting us at email@example.com.
Our Commitment to Data SecurityUnder Massachusetts law, Brandeis has in place a comprehensive information security program applicable to any records containing "Personal Information." This comprehensive information security program is reasonably consistent with industry standards, and contains administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to ensure the security of such records.
Transfers of Personal DataBrandeis is a global university offering education and services worldwide. From time to time we enter into third-party agreements for the purpose of providing you with Brandeis Services that may be of interest to you, and in that process we may need to transfer your personal data to these third-party affiliates and vendors. Any such entity that we transfer your personal data will not be permitted to process your personal data other than as described in this Privacy Statement without providing you notice and, if required by applicable laws, obtaining your consent.
All Brandeis affiliates and vendors are required to follow the privacy practices set forth in this Privacy Statement.
Other DisclosuresBrandeis may disclose personal data about you: (i) if we have your valid consent to do so; (ii) to comply with a valid subpoena, legal order, court order, legal process, or other legal obligation; (iii) to enforce any of our terms and conditions or policies; or (iv) as necessary to pursue available legal remedies or defend legal claims.
Privacy Statement UpdatesBrandeis may update this Privacy Statement from time to time as we add new Brandeis Services and as we improve our current offerings and as technologies and laws change. You can determine when this Privacy Statement was last revised by referring to the "Last updated" legend at the top of this page. Any changes will become effective upon our posting of the revised Privacy Statement.
We will provide notice to you if these changes are material and, where required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent. This notice will be provided by email or by posting notice of the changes on the Brandeis websites and apps that link to this Privacy Statement.
Your RightsIf you reside in the European Union, you have rights under the General Data Protection Regulation. Regardless of where you reside, if you would rather not receive any Brandeis Services, or if you prefer that the University not retain your personal data, please contact our office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brandeis Alumni—login to your B Connect account to change the display preferences of your Profile information in the alumni directory and to inform the University of your desire to not receive further emails by changing your email subscription preferences. You may also unsubscribe from email through the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our emails.
Brandeis is excited about the future and would love you to be a part of it!